On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 06:57:00PM -0500, Arno Teigseth wrote:
Hi

This might be a corner case, but I have this problem:

To not have to go through the "import template" process every time I
change a template, I symlinked it. So,

Is there any reason why you cannot just import the template and then use
File->Templates->Edit to change it?

ln -s mynicetemplate.ots ~/.libreoffice/3/user/template/

That worked fine until I moved the template. Of course it disappeared
from the "select template" dialog. The problem is, if I now try to
_import_ the template with the Organize|Import template menu, I get the
message "the template may already exist".

Of course you do. Because the symlink in ~/.libreoffice/3/user/template/
exists yet, it just points to a nonexistent file. LibO sees the
(symlink) file, so it doesn't allow to import a template with the same
name, but it cannot open it as a template, so it doesn't list it in the
dialog. Elementary, my dear Watson.

This could be confusing to some users, since libreoffice claims the
template exists while it actually is nowhere to be found in the template
selection box.

Well, it was you who decided to circumvent the template management
system, so it is your problem to ensure it is in consistent state...

D.