Hi Wols,

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 15:16 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
I seem to recall it had
something to do with not SQLite not lending itself easily to being able
to keep everything in memory and then write an IO stream into and ODF
compatible container. Of course, that was back in the days of SQLite 2
so maybe things have got better :-) Good luck !!!
..
Can we put a hsqldb database in an odf container? The stuff I saw about
sqlite 2 was things like "you can't modify a table". It's a very basic
engine without a lot of the user-friendly padding.

        Ho hum :-) If you open most ODF files, they tend to uncompress
themselves almost entirely to /tmp/svXXX.tmp/ anyway so ;-)

        However - sqlite does in fact allow you to re-vector the I/O primitives
( in case you think seeking / writing to the middle of a stream in
a .zip file is really a good idea ;-) there is some code to do it here:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/camel/camel-db.c#n162

        Having said that, as long as the file was un-compressed, possibly it
would be possible to do some level of modification inside the .zip file
as-is; but really - I don't believe people will (or should) do gigabyte
databases inside a zip file ;-)

Anyways, in the first instance, I'm treating this as a "teach yourself
C++" exercise - rather a "jump in the deep end" version :-)

        Great :-)

I'm quite happy to try and stick my database files in a odf container,
but seriously, I think that is a triumph of ideology over reality. It'd
actually be dead easy to dump to XML, but I think the load and save
times would kill any user-friendliness, even if the database itself was
cuddly-lamb-friendly.

        You know - the dump to XML thing is not such a terrible idea if it
liberates us from a given implementation of the database backend; and I
don't -know- that it has to be -that- slow (given the size of the
databases we are talking about).

        It would be a wonderful thing to have done generically; a parallel 'XML
stream' version of the database, which we could retro-fit into files for
those poor hsqldb users that need to migrate away.

        Anyhow - interesting stuff,

        All the best,

                Michael.