Hi Jonathan,

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:40 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Start with stuff that /any/ user would see.
My list would start with:

        This is a great list :-) we should get some of it into the easy hacks
page I suspect (under the not so easy hacks).

Fulltext search in Help (i.e. <F1>) - that uses lucene and requires java

        Right; but there is no real need for us to use Java lucene, when we can
use cluncene:

        http://clucene.sourceforge.net/

        Since there is really no need for compatibility with the java generated
lang-packs (since we compile our own help), we can use the released
version. To find the modules that use this do:

        grep lucene */prj/build.lst

        Which shows you l10ntools and xmlhelp - presumably delving inside them
(eg. l10ntools/source/help) will show the code for building the index,
and then xmlhelp/source/com/sun/star/help/ - will have the code for
using it at run-time.

        It shouldn't be that hard to write a compatible indexing tool (there
are only 2 java files of a few hundred lines) and likewise
xmlhelp/source/com/sun/star/help/HelpSearch.java is only a single method
(really) 'invoke' that does it all.

        Clearly, if we use C++ we can evaporate all that hard-to-read
cross-language / UNO component boilerplate too - which might be nice.

        Let me know if you can take that on, otherwise I'll add the details to
the wiki.

        CLucene is LGPL / Apache dual-licensed yielding no problems in that
department, and this should be an easy-ish task for a beginner hacker.

        Thanks !

                Michael.