Hi Matthias,

thanks for the overview, much appreciated!

On 17/03/14 16:03, Mattias Põldaru wrote:
Microsoft Word uses an A with paintbrush or two A-s for Change styles:
http://www.ablebits.com/_img-blog/excel-styles/excel-ribbon-styles.png

Seems to be one of the better ones, actually. It's a bit text-centric,
but not as much as previous iterations were:

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_Ck5gHAkZqC0/TGTbYWBuz_I/AAAAAAAAAA0/jj9vPoIomVM/s1600/office2003_beta2_03.gif

(Word 2003 screenshot, the Styles icon is in the second toolbar from the
top, first from the left [AA].)

Zoho uses a combination of both two A-s and a paintbrush:
https://www.zoho.com/docs/images/saved-styles.png

Similar to Word's icon, but I am not sure if the second A improves on
the design.

Adobe uses styled S (doesn't translate that well)
http://www.upload.ee/image/3948304/adobe-styles.png

That was Apple's I-Work, I think. My opinion of it is that this icon is
about as bad as it gets. (Not internationalised [the S very
English-specific] and looks like the paste from clipboard icon.)

or a combination of "color icon" and A for character styles and pilgrim
¶ for paragraph styles in InDesign:
http://www.upload.ee/image/3948317/indesign-styles.png

Well, the styles part of the icon seem to be the two little squares at
the bottom left. I am not sure what they are supposed to tell me. Maybe
something like copying of attributes from a master [square with thick
frame] to an instance of the element [overlaid square with thin frame])?

However, I don't think they would work standing alone -- which we'd need
since our UI is different from Adobe's

One interesting icon an A made of a ruler, a pencil and a paintbrush
(metaphor similar to Sifr icons):
http://www.upload.ee/image/3948361/an-icon.png

Unfortunately, that is Apple's App Store/Application Folder icon. So,
can't use that.

I would propose using stencil ruler as the metaphor. Stencil is used to
draw similar objects (this is what styles are about). A Sifr-style icon
could look something like this:
http://www.upload.ee/image/3948188/stencil.png

In Tango, we now already have a stencil to toggle the Draw toolbar. It
looks pretty similar, except that there are four instead of three shapes
in it.

My conclusion is that it might be good to either use an icon more
similar to MSO's [recognisably so] or stick to what we have in Tango.

Astron.