Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi Mirek,

Mirek M. wrote (27-12-13 16:32)
> 2013/12/27 Mirek M. <mazelm@gmail.com>
>> 2013/12/24 Cor Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl>
>>
>>> I agree. With applauding for the many improvements, but also with
>>> the criticism on the thumbnails size.
>>>
>>> - I see in 4.2.0 beta there are 10 thumbnails on one line. And
>>> room for 4 to 5 lines. Those thumbnails are a bit small.
>>>
>>> - In 4.2.0 RC1 there are 4 thumbnails on one line and only two
>>> lines visible. Really way too large.
>>>
>>> Something as 7 to 8 thumbnails on one line would be best, IMO.
>>>

>> Keep in mind that: * The number of thumbnails per line depends on
>> the window size. * This window will usually be full-screen, given
>> that it transforms into modules. * At smaller sizes, the thumbnails
>> are much harder to make out.

Yes, I did consider all those.

>> Take a look at Stuart's screenshot:
>> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4088188/StartCenter_1920x1200HD_fully_populated_18-thumbnails_with_vertical_scroll.jpg.
>> The presentations are easy to make out, but the documents can be
>> hard to make out, even at this size.

That looks as a reasonable compromise between what I see in beta2 and rc1.

Mirek M. wrote (27-12-13 16:41)

> The thumbnails are there to be able to set apart documents at a glance, so
> there's some need to be able to make out the basics, though it's true that
> with documents, you'll mostly be looking at the layout and perhaps the
> title.

My response obviously was triggered by using rc1 after beta2 :)
Larger is easer to read, of course. But at the size of rc1 I can almost
edit them :) (1366x768 usually full screen) But finding recent document
that are below #8 (number of recent documents counts to 25..) is a pita ;)

> All these things said (talking about my recent messages, not just this
> one), though, I wouldn't mind it if the previews were limited to 180x180
> instead of the current 256x256.

Sounds interesting!
Is the screenshot above 180X180?
Was the size in beta2 90x90 or so ?