(CCing the Design Team mailing list)

Hi Michael, all!

@ Design: We've got a hint by Michael concerning our icons ...

Am Montag, den 07.03.2011, 20:34 +0000 schrieb Michael Meeks:
Hi Christophe / Bernhard,

      Meet Jon - working on the UI design for GNOME 3.0 - and he is missing
some high-res icons for LibreOffice to make us look rather pretty in the
new shell.

Hi Jon! I've consumed quite some information and had a brief look at
Gnome 3 at the FOSDEM. Quite promising, although the crowd around me
made it quite difficult to test it thoroughly ;-)

Are there any new "visual guidelines" we should keep in mind for Gnome 3
(or all the freedesktop related stuff)?

      Jon - any chance of a screenshot showing our current ugliness ? that
can be a galvanizing force; also, I assume this is not WM / window icons
- but .desktop / application icons (?).

For the others, Jakub was so kind to provide a picture that shows the
issues (have a look at e.g. the Blender icon):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24178/app-launchers.png

      Quite possibly we have them already; but I've lost the link :-)

      Also - I sniff that Jakub Steiner is interested in tango-ising our icon
palettes more so they match better - would you guys welcome that.

General answer: Sure! This would be great :-)

Current answer: We currently depend on some stability concerning our
branding, since your young project is not yet fully known to the public.
The colors are currently part of our branding, so changes affecting so
many places should be done in an coordinated effort - it's already
planned and called "Community Branding". So, I'm sure we're happy about
any help, but the decision on its inclusion has to be made by some more
people a bit later.

Since we ship the Tango icons per default, we are even more aware of
that problem. Paulo is currently working (thanks!) on a more "Tango-ish"
look for the the document icons that also appear in the toolbars.

      [ I would CC the design list of course, but Reply-To: mangling would
ensure that none of the above (whom you want to get involved) would get
a reply so ... ;-].

;-)

Here is a short summary to the Design Team: I provided a link showing
our currently available icons. And I've asked Thorsten whether he can
quickly provide a status what has to be done from a developer's
perspective. And of course, what's missing from our side ...

I don't know what the Red Hat / Novell guys prefer, but I think its
helpful for them that we avoid too many mails in too many mailboxes. So
would it be okay for "us", if I ask to keep further discussions (e.g. on
the Tango colors) on this mailing list? At least, until we can come up
with a somewhat final statement...

So, thanks for the mail ... and enjoy your day!

Cheers,
Christoph