Not much feedback, so let's conclude:

* Please create one category on Discourse "Design/UX" without any subcategory.
* We keep the mailing list.
* ML users should not automatically registered.

All further configuration should be possible later and on the Discourse platform.

Thanks a lot,
Heiko

On 13.05.22 09:30, Heiko Tietze wrote:
@all: Discourse is coming and Sophi asked about some details. Gave my 2¢, no strong opinion on any topic, and wonder what you think. Please comment.

On 11.05.22 16:33, sophi wrote:
 > Hi Heiko,
 >
 > Here are some questions we will need answers from your team to ease the
 > migration and/or forum settings
 >
 > On categories/subcategories:
 > To create the categories you need on the Discourse Community instance, we would
 > like to know:
 > - will you use category only?

What is the alternative?

 > - shall we close the mailing list after migration

No, the ML should remain.

 > - what category should we create (name it as it should appear in
 > Community)?

This is a question to everyone: I'm thinking of
* Design (UX/design tasks like mockups),
* Patches (simple easyhacks patches for example about terminology),
* Vision (rather far-fetched ideas)
* Presence (discussions about current topics)
* Meetings (what this ML is lately most about)

Given that we have not much discussion on the ML we could also start with just one pot.

 > - what sub categories should we create (name them as they should appear in
 > Community)? Note there is no third level categories.

Understand Categories as a subcategory of all LibreOffice Discourse topics. Having more hierarchy would be an overkill.

 > - what color do you want for your category?

Green, white?

 > On subscription/preferences
 > Now, there are several options that can help the migration. All these
 > options are accessible in the preferences, but please let us know what we should
 > do:
 >
 > - shall we mass subscribe mailing list users to Community?

Thought topics on Discourse would be forwarded to the ML and vice versa anyway.

 > If yes, could you notify them to create a SSO account if it's not already done.

Sending a message to the ML sounds feasible :-)

 > And in case they use different mail addresses, to add them all at
 > https://user.documentfoundation.org/edit
 > - shall we preset the category to in the watched list for "regulars" and
 > "digesters" subscribers. That means that they will receive email notifications
 > for each post under a watched category.

Would be nice if users could configure the kind of notification. It's something one can opt-in on the ML as well.

 > Note that it's not possible to send digest mails, instead it's one
 > message per post, one message for each new thread, or no notifications
 > at all.
 > - nomailers subscribers will be ignored as there is not this possibility on
 > Discourse. Please inform your community
 >
 > - who should we subscribe to the category moderators.

Volunteers, step forward

 > On migrating archives:
 > - do you want the archive of the list to be migrated to your category and
 > subcategories

If you mean the listarchive this might be a nice to have, if we retire this service.

--
Dr. Heiko Tietze, UX-Designer and UX-Mentor
Tel: +49 30 5557992-63 | Mail: heiko.tietze@documentfoundation.org