Hello,

My thoughts on the survey:

1) GENDER

> If it is really-really necessary to ask…

I think it makes sense to ask for gender and age – if your survey only reaches male users aged 20-30 you want to know, as results will apply to this group then, but possibly not generalize well to other parts of the user community.

> discouraging for non-binary people

Indeed – I would suggest the following question:

My gender is…

- Female
- Male
- Non-binary
- Prefer to self-define: _________

"other" is not considered good practice – needing to label oneself as belonging to what is marked as residual category.

An interesting and and hands-on overview of gender questions in survey can be found in Spiel at.al, 2019, acm interactions [1] though their suggested method might be a bit hard to analyze.

2) AGE

Stopping at "over 55"seems pretty young for an upper end. Quite some people who are in their mid-60s today will have used computers when they were 20 or so in case they went to university. I recently did research in a relatively young community but "over 55" would have been the largest group, as the whole tail of the distribution would get in there, so just extend the scale.

4) FREQUENCY

I agree with Csongor here: I would suggest to ask for "once a month", "weekly" etc. here

An overview of these question types is at https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/measuring-behavioral-frequency/

13) SUS

In general, I would not change the wording or scale except we know that it is OK to do. Many changes one can and can not do to the SUS are researched.

The positive/negative reversal was researched and it turned out that you can, or rather should, use an all-positive version: "Researchers  who  do  not  have  a  current  investment  in  the standard   SUS   can   use   the   all   positive version   with confidence  because  respondents  are  less  likely  to  make mistakes  when  responding,  researchers  are  less  likely  to make errors in coding, and the scores will be similar to the standard SUS" Sauro, Lewis "When Designing Usability Questionnaires, Does It Hurt to Be Positive?"

Another change that is supported by data is replacing "cumbersome" with "awkward": James R. Lewis, Jeff Sauro:  The Factor Structure of the System Usability Scale,  2009

– Jan

[1] "How to do better with gender on surveys: a guide for HCI researchers" https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334073420_How_to_do_better_with_gender_on_surveys_a_guide_for_HCI_researchers