Hi.

On 05/04/17 04:28, Heiko Tietze wrote:
Hello all,

we have many tickets regarding numbering & bullets and outlines. The
problem has also a high relevance in the Nantes user interviews, not
knowing the details though.

Good time to think about a different solution:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16-6zkZl5LiICnUILhv1CfIHIdyQFyTJKp7XGST5zq5U

The proposal was made having the new area fill style dialog in mind
where three columns make a) the selection from pre- and user-defined
options simple, b) users get a full overview of all settings, and c)
preview shows how it looks in the end. The old numbering logic is
turned upside down a bit making the list styles predominant as the
preset. And since users may not be aware of the different types, the
numbering, bullets, and outline are merged together.

All comments are welcome- and we should have a design session eventually.

Cheers,
Heiko

I am assuming the fill style dialogue is the Area dialogue for a shape.
Is the dialogue in 5.2.5 the new one you mention, there it is very clear to see the outcome of selections.

Some ramblings on numbering.
I have used numbering (or is it outline numbering) for years in many manuals, still subject to revision and update, so a consideration for me would be to maintain consistency and not have to re-number.

Simpler is better as long as you don't lose any functionality, I don't find the current dialogues difficult to use but may be not so easy to understand the terminology.

I have never really got to grips with the differences between numbering and outline numbering (it's probably quite simple) as you apply it to a document. I have found the simplest way to add another numbered paragraph/block to my manuals is to copy/paste an existing numbered entry and edit the text. This keeps the style, adjusts the numbering to stay in sequence and adds the entry to the TOC. May be this in itself says something about the ease of use of the current system.

I have always thought that the numbering and bullets buttons in the tool bar should apply a style (transparent to the user) rather than direct formatting, thereby allowing future tuning document wide. I always curse myself when I click those buttons as I inevitably make a change later and have to go back through the document to get consistency.
Steve