On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:41 PM Heiko Tietze <tietze.heiko@googlemail.com>
wrote:

looks like a really cool Notebookbar focusing on the average user with a
broad spectrum of needs - Eve. The current 'contextual sections' variant was
made having Benjamin in mind.

My toolbar concept targets mainly Benjamin.

Disagree here as casual users may not be able to distinguish between
the new and open icons, have no clue what the pencil is good for (left
most icon above the font name), and will struggle with the right part.
Admitted that your layout is clean, better aligned, and space saving.

Therefore all icons have a label, sections are labeled...

Labeling everything comes at a high price, label take a lot of screen-space.
I think that labeling is not that important, what rather matters is to group
similar actions together → grouping over labeling. Not using section labels
allows to be not forced to have only actions of a certain section-group in
one group – e.g. in the mock-up I have the comment-button in the same group
as the text-size button.

Forcing to do a clean design is good :-). Grouping without labels
shifts the comprehension of your design towards the user whether or
not she is able to understand what you had in mind. But of course I
would sign the grouping over labeling constitution if there is no
chance to have labels. So why not hide the labels when the screen size
is limited but show them by default?

... only the most relevant features are present.

...I saw that he used the copy & paste buttons quite a lot – I've
also seen other average users use them. So I would argue that they are
essential.

Accepted. The current design is based on usage data from the project
Renaissance (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results or some
archive page).

Users with not so perfect sight may struggle with bullets vs. numbers, for
instance, that are distinguished by only a few pixels. Casual users may not
recognize some functions and need to read the tooltips.

To help users with less sight there should be a high-contrast icon theme.

For users like me with a less defective sight of ~1-2dp it is rather a
lazy eyes thing when tiny differences of icons are not recognized at a
glance. And I don't want to use high contrast icons, rather a colored
theme. Or use labels.

Cheers,
Heiko