That's a really cool idea. Reminds me a little bit on the Unity
Launcher, or the like. I would put the 'Functions Bar' (aka
Notebookbar) to the left side and the 'Properties Bar' (what we call
today the Sidebar) to the right, meaning the NB needs to become
dockable (likely that we have a ticket for this).
Other than that the content needs a lot of familiarization as you
don't label icons and there are no clear sections. The latter could be
done with big icons that also group the content. In your design the
focus is on Save, Paste, and colors as those small icons pop-out. The
big style button is lost down under. That's a pity since our
educational mission is to promote styles.

Cheers,
Heiko

PS: Why not have a ticket in Bugzilla to allow vertical Notebookbars
with this exemplary configuration?

Over the weekend I designed a dark themed vertical only user interface for
LibreOffice Writer.

Mock-up:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yaM-XqO5AOQ2FNeW9talVYT00/view?usp=sharing

The UI is uncommon for an office suite. I like how the toolbar fades out of
sight when focusing the sheet and that the design feels less heavy than
common toolbars. The dark toolbar gives Writer a clean look.
On the other hand I see possible troubles when displaying multiple pages at
once, than the travel distance for the mouse becomes quite long, also the
UI could look strange when resizing the window horizontally.

Let me know what you think.

Thibaut