Hi Jean-Francois,

Some more replies, as requested... even if I am not really a power that is.

On 9 February 2014 09:34, Jean-Francois Nifenecker
<jean-francois.nifenecker@laposte.net> wrote:
In my FR installs the Stylist and the Navigator are installed but not
displayed. I know very few users who actually know these tools exist and
what they are meant for, not telling about displaying or using them :(

Which is sad. Maybe some first-start wizard would help (think: a few arrows
overlaid on top of the software: this is here, that is there etc.)?
Additionally, I think the sidebar could really help make Styles & Formatting/
Navigator more visible.

As for the default settings, I have been wondering since the very first
times of OOo 1.1.1 why the French apostrophe is not setup (the setting
is available) while the French quote is.

I guess we covered why that is not as simple as you make it seem.

Other lacking settings: display non-printing chars,

Believe it or not, lots of people find them ugly. (I know they're invaluable
when trying to find duplicate spaces etc.)
Given that in Master the display of non-printing chracters is now less
conspicuous, it may be an option to turn them on by default in 4.3.

activate the backup copy

Well, that function seems rather crude to me. OK, it does let you restore one
older version of your files. But what if you pressed save twice since the last
good version?
You would be better served with real version control/a real content management
system. It would be cool if that were integrated in LibreOffice though.

prefer the richer LibO dialogs

Phew... they may have improved, but their UI is still worse than any of the
Windows/OS X/Gnome/KDE file choosers. Yes, they have extra functionality, but
storing in Alfresco shares is not that important to the average user. Of
course, if any cloud storage integration does come to LibreOffice,
the default selected file chooser option may have to change. But so does
LibreOffice's internal file chooser.

adjust zoom settings.

What exactly do you mean by that?

In Writer: add an Insert from file toolbutton

There is one in the drawing toolbar, but I see what you mean.

set the Table toolbar position non-floating.

I think it hasn't been since either 3.6 or 4.0. In any case, it is now
docked at the bottom for me.

In Draw: add a Fontwork toolbutton (the Fontwork toolbar can't do what
this button does; or did I miss smthg?)

I am not sure I understand. There is a Fontwork button in the drawing toolbar
(which is on by default in Draw).
Also, if it didn't need to be there for compatibility reasons, I'd rather the
whole feature be trashed. There is literally no way create anything good with
it. (Yeah, that is a snobby and not very humble opinion.)

Well, what I'm writing is about FR installs, though some common
denominator could be found between languages (Stylist and Navigator come
to mind).

I think the documentation angle is the best way to attack many of these things.
LibreOffice tries to support home users as much as institutional ones, a
good guide of the features interesting to institutions but possibly diverting
for home users would be great.

Astron.