Hi Peter,

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM, PACraddock <peter@arpia.be> wrote:

Hi Mirek,

Thanks for the explanation. I've been going through the icons, and would
indeed be glad to help complete the icon set.

That's great!
If you have a GitHub account, send me the name so I could add you to the
repository [1]. If you don't, please create one.
We use Inkscape [2] to edit icons and SparkleShare [3] to sync with GitHub.
If you need help with either of them, don't hesitate to ask.
If you really don't like Inkscape, any SVG-compatible editor should do.
All our icons are CC-BY-SA licensed [4] -- I hope you're ok with publishing
your work under that license.

To echo Oskar's question, which icons are missing? Where can we find the
full existing icon set? [Still trying to find my way around the structure.]

I don't think there is a well-categorized list anywhere online. I think
that, out of the various icon sets LibreOffice ships with, Industrial is
most complete, so you can use
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/icon-themes/industrial/cmdto
get a list of our current icons. If you search for "shape" in the
filename, you should get all the shape icons. Based on that list and on the
shapes stencil [5], you can deduce which shapes are missing.
All the 16x16 icons are missing, but the priority should be to finish up
the 24x24 icons first. The 24x24 icons are really 22x22 icons with a 1px
border.

As for the style of the shape icons:
* The shape should use the shapeFill gradient.
* The outline should be black with 40% opacity.
* The highlight should use the highlight gradient and be 40% opaque. The
gradient should go straght from the very top of the shape to the very
bottom.

When setting the gradient, hold Ctrl and make sure you have snapping
enabled. If the starting point doesn't snap, adjust it, again holding Ctrl.

Here is the workflow I would suggest:
1) Draw the shape and apply the shapeFill gradient to it in the Fill
sidebar (Ctrl+Shift+F). Make sure it has no stroke.
2) Duplicate the shape twice (Ctrl+D, Ctrl+D).
3) Add a 2px stroke to the topmost duplicate.
4) Convert the stroke to a path (Ctrl+Alt+C).
5) Select this path and the shape below it and do an intersection (Ctrl+*).
You should now have the outline.
6) Make the outline black with 40% opacity.
7) Duplicate the main shape twice again (Ctrl+D, Ctrl+D).
8) Add a 4px stroke to the topmost duplicate.
9) Convert the stroke to a path (Ctrl+Alt+C).
10) Select this path and the shape below it and do an intersection
(Ctrl+*). I'll call the result the "inset".
11) Duplicate the black outline from step 6 and move the duplicate to the
top.
12) Select this duplicate and the inset and do a difference. (Ctrl+-).
13) Apply the highlight gradient fill to it and make it 40% opaque.

I know that's a handful, but that should be all there is to these shape
icons.

In terms of meetings, I'll probably try to send updates and questions on my
work through the mailing list when the timing doesn't suit me.

Alright, sounds good.

[1] https://github.com/libodesign/tango-testing
[2] http://inkscape.org/
[3] http://sparkleshare.org/