Hi Mirek,

Le 20/04/2013 17:15, Mirek M. a écrit :
Hi guys,
I find this discussion a bit misguided. The idea seems to be simply to do
an all-encompassing, radical UI redesign without considering the pros and
cons of the current one, platform and toolkit limitations, or a possible
development plan. It seems as though you are trying to find solutions
without first framing the problem(s).

\o/

WRT usability, we should consider that there's more than one usage. I can see at least two: basic users (home users, newcomers) and advanced users.

Home users mostly use the toolbuttons and menus. They hardly know about keyboard shortcuts and close to none have heard about styles.
For this public, the UI -- as-is or ribonnized -- is certainly useful.

Advanced users want their job done with efficiency. For this they have learnt about keyboard shortcuts and they use styles extensively. For this public, the toolbars are almost completely useless. They eat up screen space for no added value. Conversely, the Stylist and Navigator are the toolbars of choice.

-> I think the UI should consider both of those people, who have many antagonist needs. My dream is a UI that would smoothly bring the low-knowledge user to advanced knowledge.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux