Regina,

I agree with Valentin's proposal only for this simple reason: it is very comfortable and easy to see it in Slides pane because that is the main place where you look for slides (of course when that panel is opened).

The only thing I would change is to put a barely visible slide border around that "+" sign and a light gray text "Add new slide". The users love to have a confirmation for the actions they have to do.

Axel