Hi all,

Rainer wrote this:
I like it! And I have some proposals for additions.

Very helpful, thanks. I think I included a bit of almost everything
you said when I updated the page.

On 29 November 2012 21:23, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> wrote:
        Hah :-) so - JFYI - when people click on send-feedback, we now have
more details about their systems: the exact version of the software
they're running, the platform, the component (writer, base etc.) and
more. That would need propagating to "file a bug" of course;

Sure. Keep in mind, what I did is intended as a mockup, not as a final
implementation. I think I left out everything that was harder to do,
for Rob. I didn't know we add version strings to the feedback URL now,
though. That's definitely nice progress.

        I wonder - Mozilla have done a lot of this work before us - can we
re-use their backend infrastructure and share development work on that ?
it'd suck to re-invent all their data analytics / query processing
etc. ?

Here's how I think Twitter v/ Mozilla's system stack up:

Twitter:
* no need to set up a new hardware/etc. (at least for collecting
feedback; analysing feedback without hardware might be harder)
* verified users => less spam (?)
* many people have Twitter accounts already, so not such a high hurdle
* possible to follow up with users, creating actual contact between
developers/designers/QA'ers/marketeers/... and users
* people might expect us to follow up with them, and when we don't
they become angry (?)
* data becomes Twitter's property not ours
* dependent on Twitter's general mood and API
* probably hard to annotate tweets with LibO/OS version

i.m.o:
* need to set up hardware
* lots and lots of spam and gibberish
* no hurdle but clicking the Send Feedback button
* impossible to follow up with users
* posts are automatically tagged with LibO/OS version
* data is our property

The (supposed) ease of use (both to us and the user) and the promise
of having less spam make Twitter seem attractive to me, still.

        is prolly beyond us ATM, but ... perhaps worth collecting if someone
will do real analytics on it.

I personally think the feedback is mostly useful for collecting
real-world thumbs-ups/thumbs-downs by region and time.[1] As you said,
actual text analysis is hard, especially if you have to take into
account that our users speak so many languages.

Astron.

[1] There might be the psychological effect that people feel heard, too.