Þann mið 22.ágú 2012 07:35, skrifaði Stefan Knorr (Astron):
Hi Sveinn,

it's probably worth noting that you don't have to "ruin" your icon set
any more to try out different icons in LibreOffice 3.6.

Don't worry, the LOdevBeta2 installation was heading over the digital Styx anyway ;-)

What you need to do, is go to the folder where there images_*.zip are
stored, and create a new folder there, with the same name as the
corresponding zip file.
I. e. for Tango that would be a new folder named "images_tango". Then
you have to recreate the bit of folder structure you need for your
icon (usually that's just "cmd") and place the correctly named icons
in there.

So, does it work without being compressed into images*.zip ?
Neat, if so.

It's not very well documented so far – if you can think of a good
place where to stick this in the wiki, let me know (or just do it).

I've had problems logging into the wiki (? a third-party captcha ?), but will try again when I have more time on my hands.

To me it seems that the logical place for such information would be a dedicated page, accessible from <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Playground> or via an introductory phrase in the # 3) Design section on <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design>. The <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements> page is more about Artwork than UI, but could be restructured a bit.

But just now I found this: <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Icon_Themes>, of course this info could be added here. The page itself could be very useful if we would add to the unfinished Resources and their sub-pages. This page really should be referenced on some of the pages mentioned above.

There's a nice little README in <http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/icon-themes/ which may be of interest and should be mentioned in the text.

One crazy idea (which maybe merits a separate thread); what if we'd ask a nice dev (who has some spare time) to make a new theme according to the README above, let's say named libreoffice-test. This would only be released with Beta and RC packages (just like the classic-theme is not released at all). To quote: "An icon theme does not need to contain all images, since these can be layered one on top of another". So, instead of directly modifying an existing (tango) theme, we'd add to this libreoffice-test for proposals and direct testing (by many more people during the hectic QA-phase of Beta/RC-testing). Sort of what us l10n-people do. Once testing/agreement has been reached, the libreoffice-test theme could be renamed just libreoffice and become default theme in a new official release (depends on distribution). IMHO this way we could profit from broader/accurate testing and instead of hacking an existing theme we'd progressively build a new theme/themes. And those uncomfortable with new icons could easily go back to their old favourite icons (e.g. unmodified Tango).
Sounds feasible ?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli