On 2012-08-09 13:31, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Steve et al,

Le 2012-08-08 17:52, Steve Edmonds a écrit :

Hi.
one place this may have significance is the educational sector. School
kids are always using clip art from the gallery and lack of clip art
availability would be a decision point in our kids school.
So as not to restrict inroads into schools I think that addition of
clipart to the gallery should be easy and obvious and not require
administrator privileges (it won't happen if every click needs the IT
administrator). The bullets, backgrounds and rulers could then be part
of the one click clipart install.
Steve

+1

Not having a stock gallery will definitely make a difference in the educational sector. We usually use this to teach our younger students the steps to insert graphics into their work whether in Word (Writer) or PowerPoint (Impress).

I would hate to see this disappear as it does hold some value in our schools and is still a marketable asset for the educational sector -- an important sector that we, LibreOffice, want to break into.

Maybe make it into a "stock extension" where it would disappear from the downloaded version but available as an extension (maintained by LibreOffice)? Would this be possible?

BTW ... one of the best used extension that I previously used with OOo was the one that installed clipart from the OpenClipArt project[1]. When I took my laptop to work, the teachers would always comment positively at the cliparts in the gallery.

Cheers,

Marc
Elementary school teacher

[1] http://openclipart.org/

We have never had MSO at home and as youngsters my kids always commented on how our computer had much better clip art and fonts than the school ones and wish that school was like home. That was OOO.
Steve