Hi Anne,
Right now, Stefan Knorr (aka. Astron) is in charge of replacing some of our
current Tango icons with newer ones from the Gnome project. He's currently
making a list of icons we could replace outright and icons that need to be
tweaked, and, until that's done, there's no work to be done on this topic
yet.
I'm not sure what the original reason behind making Tango icons default was
-- I can only speculate that it was done to distance the project a bit from
OpenOffice.org and be more in line with other open-source projects, many of
which have also opted to use Tango icons.

If you'd like to help out with the current icons, you'll have to ask Astron
or wait a bit until he releases a list of things to work on.
There was also an initiative to create a new simpler set of icons, but it
has been shelved until an experienced icon designer shows up and takes
charge of it:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Flat_icon_set . If
you'd like to lead that, you're welcome to.

If you'd like to help out in general, take a look at the things we're
working on right now:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design#Our_Current_Endeavors . If
you're more of a visual designer than an interaction designer, you might be
interested in our call for templates:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Call_for_Templates .

You also mentioned being interested in accessibility -- you might want to
subscribe to the accessibility mailing list by sending an empty message to
accessibility+subscribe@global.libreoffice.org .