Great to see so much awesome ideas already presented. I decided to chip in.
I added my thoughts to the Whiteboard as well:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote

IMO landscape mode may be better suited, because when you give presentation, you don't want the gadgets to catch the eye, with landscape mode you can hold the mobile close to your body, it might go almost unnoticed, if you don't stare at it.

I sketched before I saw Mirek's work, I like it It has all the basic functionality besides "Next slide" preview and is clean. It also is much easier to implement since it would have pretty simple transitions.

What hasn't come up yet is this:
* for accessibility "mirrored mode" for left-handed would be useful as well (only needed by my idea, others are not side-dependent)
* blanking to black (optionally to white) screen
* people may not need the view of current slide at all in case of double monitors or the standing position where presenter could see the main screen

Regards
Mattias