Hello, Jean-François, you said:

To me there are two questions : the one Maxime asked, ie the homogeneity
between paragraph style and character style use. The second one is
whether the tool should encourage to a correct use of the tool or not.

Homogeneity

I share Maxime's thoughts and, imo, both style types should apply the
same, iow, applying a style should replace the underlying formatting
(direct or style).

Correct use

Styles are the first reason to adopt LibreOffice. This should be highly
emphasized and promoted. As a trainer, I always bring questions back to
styles: "3 times upon 2, using a style solves the problem" (yes, 3 times
upon 2 ;). Hence, direct formatting should be discouraged. Better yet,
for instance, pressing the "B"old toolbutton should apply the correct
character style (bold emphasis by default) instead of setting the bold
property to the underlying characters.

Side note: I feel a very important need for table styles in Writer.

I actually described the way it is today, but happen to agree with you. I had been working for a little while on this subject, but haven't been able to produce a specification for it. Are you either a designer or a programmer? Would you care joining in the design list to discuss this subject so maybe we can get it going?

And Maxime, you said:

Hello,

For me, character style and paragraph style should behave the same.
I change my mind and think that character style should behave like the
paragraph style :
If you apply a style on something (text or paragraph) the style should
overwrite the preview style and directs attributs on this something.
If you apply a direct attribut on something the direct attribut should
be merge with the preview style and direct attribut on this something.

But I don?t like very much the idea to force people to use style
formatting?

Regards

Maxime de Roucy

I believe you haven't read Jean-François's response, but if I understood it well, you do agree with him (and myself). I just want to point out that nobody will force nothing: people that don't want to mess with styles (they would be wrong, but it would be OK :-)) could still use direct formatting, just like you proposed, it would still work. The real problem would be the character attribute buttons (bold and italic, mostly): if they applied character styles, like Jean proposed, then there would be no shortcut for character direct formatting. We would have to discuss it further on the convenience of this behaviour.

I have one or two ideas on this, but would rather take them to the design list (you can also join there -- it's in the Cc as well) just to let this ux-advise list free of early stage discussions.

Cheers./