Hi all,

I'd like to avoid to give an opinion on whether a monochrome icon set
does make sense, but ...

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 18:47 +0100 schrieb Kévin PEIGNOT:
In terms of implementation, i believe that it would be a save of time and
effort if we begin with using an existing theme. I am not sure if we have a
tool which could apply some property (say something like a monochrome layer
over the icon) across an entire icon set, and I will do some research into
this. If we do manage to get this as a script, we could run it to create
mono-chrome versions of a few icon-themes like tango, and then see the
result and choose and modify accordingly.

Great Idea. And then making one icon set (I mean color) and including this
script in the software to generate the others colors ? Should we ask on dev
mailing list if this is possible / if it would need lot of CPU/memory
resource

I don't think that will work well given our massive number of icons and
the need for easy understandability. Even today, scalable icons (SVG)
are not used for small icon sizes, because these need to be tweaked by
designers to achieve reasonable quality. So, removing the information
channel "color" automatically might not lead to sufficient results.

However, wouldn't be easiest thing to pick some icons and to use a
graphics program like "The Gimp" to apply some effects to continue the
discussion?

Here is - for example - a link to the Galaxy icons (don't know the
license):
http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/gifs/Icons/example_galaxy_icons.png

Then it should be possible to test whether active icons, highlighted
icons and disabled icons can actually be recognized easily. Maybe Björn
can jump in and help us with some icon usability testing ...

Stella (the former designer at Sun) did something similar when working
on new "disabled icon" effects. That worked well to get an idea about
the finally desired effect:
http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_disabled.html

Cheers,
Christoph