2012/2/22 Bhaavan Merchant <bhaavanmerchant@gmail.com>

I think a good first step would be to clearly document all the icons
needed in LibreOffice, naming conventions and other criteria (size,
uses,
fileformat, etc...) Maybe the result could be a sort of icon-map table
(similar to a character map) for LibreOffice. Maybe this exists already
but
I haven't found it yet. There's some useful info on <https://wiki.**

documentfoundation.org/Design/**Whiteboards/LibreOffice_**Initial_Icons<

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons

.

I agree, maybe we should use a wikipage for that (Something like that
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/NeededIcons<
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/NeededIcons>- Scuse
me I don't have time to make more today but it's a starting point)

Yes, I believe this will be a good idea and we can have guidelines for
reference.

The institutional and Darkish ones, as they are monochrome, can be
considered as One icon set to design I suppose, just changing their
colour
then... Maybe changing color is possible within the software (having a
basic icon, and software change it's color automatically ?) The colorful
one can stay the Tango one in my way (even if I prefer Human)

And we mustn't forget the High Contrast one

IMO, as we are an office suite, our final icon set should match an
institutional need of icons. In my opinion, dark, sober and sharp
monochrome icons qualify with this requirement. Thus, I feel, that the
icons must be of monochrome nature.

For the colour, I think Mirek proposal is great, because, using Android
guidelines if I remenber, it explain cases for dark as for light
Background. The first problem for me is : *How do we decide if we make a
monochrome icon set or a not monochrome one ?* Wikipage for voting ?

In terms of design, I like the icons which Google Docs (

http://www.ezoubi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/new_old_look_icons_google_docs.png
)
use, and am thinking on that lines.

Google using this seems to show it's not a too bad idea ;)

Also the basic icons visible in the this Citrus Mockup (
http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/find1.png) look
clean
to me.

Again, this is a personal view and choice may vary from person to person.

In terms of implementation, i believe that it would be a save of time and
effort if we begin with using an existing theme. I am not sure if we have a
tool which could apply some property (say something like a monochrome layer
over the icon) across an entire icon set, and I will do some research into
this. If we do manage to get this as a script, we could run it to create
mono-chrome versions of a few icon-themes like tango, and then see the
result and choose and modify accordingly.

Great Idea. And then making one icon set (I mean color) and including this
script in the software to generate the others colors ? Should we ask on dev
mailing list if this is possible / if it would need lot of CPU/memory
resource

(The script idea may be a bit naive and I am not sure of the intricacies
involved, but I am willing to work for this if I get a positive response).

--
Bhaavan Merchant