Why?

I love the floppy disk! It's nostalgic! So what!

Not that it is too important but I always thought that this is one of
the nicest icons of all...

Best Christopher

On 23.01.2012 11:11, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
Hi Charles, Warren, all,

Charles-H. Schulz said:
Just FYI, we now have people on the discuss list asking how the decision
was made, so can you confirm there was a new icon that was used in the
Tango category?
Hm, oh. Forgot announcing this on the design list, too, so: yes, we
have a new icon for the Tango theme, as anyone who has used 3.5 beta
3+ can confirm. The decision to go forward with the new icon kind of
came about on the ux-advise list. (By the way, it might help if a few
more design people were there to help out developers who are unsure
about how to get the user experience for new features right.)
See here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-ux-advise/2012-January/000709.html
.
The new icon is thanks to two fantastic Gnome people, Lapo Calamandrei
and Jakub Steiner, who were kind enough to relicense this icon for us.

Warren Camilleri wrote:
if i may barge in and put my 2 cents, working in an environment surrounded by simple users the
floppy icon is well known as the save button, but for me its iconic to say from where it all
began to today evolution of memory, and to play even more safe the gnome one is even more
fantastic but i would ad folder in the draw as if you are saving more records...
That might work on a larger resolution, but for this level of detail
the icon is probably too small. Although, if you want to have a go at
adding that, the source SVG is here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/icon-themes/tango/cmd/lc_save.svg

also the floppy is somewhat and international standard, its already hard to push for simple
users to switch with their fears of understanding "change" but it is better to make even more
"familiar" for them.
Right, but the Save icon is so prominent in the interface that I
believe people will learn it. If there's a massive backlash against
the icon, we might need to consider how we can make it better in
3.6/later in the 3.5... cycle. For 3.5.0, I'd say we'd best just leave
it in.

Astron.