Not a bad thing imho, but rather not materially doable. However if you
found oil in your garden and you can pay a hundred of devs, let us
know :-)

Ok will do ;)

If we could? If I could I'd be pooping butterflies, but it  turns out I
can't. Again, let's focus on what we can do, not what we could do if...

Ooook : )

 was M$ Office changing there UI to their new ribbon UI
that big a deal. people are going to have to get used to it one way or
another. whether they get it one peace at a time like most FOSS people
will,

Sorry, what does this even mean?

Micro$oft Office changed their UI from pretty much what we have now to
their current ribbon UI all at once... well from 2003 to 2007, 4 years, so
not all at once but to the user it was all at once. it was something they
just had to get used to.

So, that is something *everyone* (even me!) agrees with. When we say "we
can't" it does not mean we don't want to. It means we can't. The
LibreOffice code is not just very  big, it is also aging  and very
complex. You can talk about how good it will be in the 4.0, but the
truth is, nobody knows how it will be. If you change one piece of code
it tends to affect twenty different other pieces of code, and therefore
that's what makes it so complex. Besides that, while there are many
developers out there, we don't have enough of them to take 10 million
lines of code and turn that into something better all at once.

I understand, its big and I understand that changing one part messes with
everything else. damn 10 million lines of code.  I know that we can't do
this, was just wondering why people seemed so agents it. as if it was a bad
thing.

- write UI specifications
- make sure there are palatable for inclusion (don't write spec for a
spaceship)
- make sure these UI specifications are for the most part implementable
within the existing UI (no complete rewrite) as it would mean a much
bigger code replacement than what we are able to do.

ok

I don't doubt this, Andrew. I thus have a proposal for you: let's take
the Citrus  menu bar. Can you see how it could be implemented in the
existing UI? Perhaps this could be a workable starting point?

yes I do see how this could be implemented. one we already have the ability
to hide/change menu items already. two we also have code
that recognizes what part of the document we are in (e.g. the floatbar,
when in a table a floatbar appears.) we could take this bit of code
that recognizes that your in a table and make it so that when you are in
one that they menus would change, as well as the contextual tool bar. I
would write the sepcs needed but I don't know what it needs, I will try to
make something soon on this. I have been wanting to do this for some time,
just don't have the time.

Cheers
Andrew.