Le 27/11/11 20:22, Andrew Pullins a écrit :

And an important point : please create mockups in wireframe.
Otherwise, the theme/aesthetic changes may disturb the UX analysis. [1]

[1] http://uxopenofficeorg.**blogspot.com/2010/05/picture-**
is-worth-thousand-words.html<http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2010/05/picture-is-worth-thousand-words.html>

why wireframe, I know that a lot of UI are made in that but why?

Well...
the above blog says it clearly :
"
When looking at ideas, it doesn't work better if it just looks better. Moreover, strange guys like the UX people do even try to avoid keeping too much attention on visual design (in the first run). Mostly we use something called "wireframes" to present our ideas. Why? Because otherwise you might easily run into something called "taste war" :-)
"

To be as complete as possible, I would list my reasons :
- User eXperience and Visual Design are very different subjects
    User eXperience :
        - where are elements ?
        - what is their own behaviour ? (mostly imposed by OSes)
        - Are visual metaphor coherent with what's expected by user ?
        - what are the most executed actions ?
        - Which informations are necessary to perform those actions ?
- How many click/keyboard events are necessary to perform those actions ? - For each action, is it possible to reduce the number of user's events ? (ex: reduce the nb of mouse click)
        - How can we change "simple actions" to "very easy actions" ?
        - How can we change "complex actions" to "simple actions" ?
        - Do all actions follow the same principles ?

    Visual design :
- what is the rendering of every element in every state possible (active/inactive/pressed/hover....) ?
        - (there must be other parts, but I should ask a visual designer !)

    A one-line version would be :
User eXperience --> study the dynamics (evolution in time in response to events) Visual Design --> study a photograph of several elements (how make it look good / clear at the first microsecond)

- if UX designer work with rendered elements, they'll inconsciously be infuenced by the rendering and focus on it instead of behaviour.
For example, in citrus proposal, what do people *really* like ?
the smart levels of gray and some subtle gradients or the behaviour ?

(and in a very personnal note : my eyes are hurted by dark background so I really can not look at more than 3 seconds a mockup with a dark theme and I'll miss good ideas !)

- a UX design in wireframe is naturally cross-platform ;-)

- working with wireframes (only rectangles, lines and few text) in Draw or Inkscape is *much much* faster and upgradable than drawing with Gimp

Did I convinced you ?
;-)

Michel