Hello Andrew, all,

Le Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:22:06 -0400,
Andrew Pullins <android2772@gmail.com> a écrit :

Ok here, I changed the permissions. thats weird I always make my docs
Anyone with the link. but it should work now.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7y5FMHPsyaNOGY2OGY4N2UtN2IzMy00NTk2LThhNmYtY2M1OTRiZGI2YTZh

It is interesting indeed. I have 5 points I'd like to raise at
this stage so that we can all be at the same page (both good and bad
news):

- We already explained that we cannot change the UI of LibreOffice all
  of a sudden or as a whole, but that incremental improvements will be
  the way to work. However, when it comes to a tablet interface, things
  are different, as we do not expect to use the "LibreOffice
  interface". The work that's currently being done by developers is to
  port the system, the platform, the featureset if you will, but the
  interface as it stands today would of course not be desirable. This
  means that a new UI for tablets will be necessary, starting more or
  less from scratch (I'm sure there will be constraints, etc.)
- Designing an interface won't be everything. You can draw a beautiful
  mock-up, but if the design/UX team does not translate it into
  specification(s) it will remain a nice mock-up. Developers do not
  know what to do with a mock-up, it can only be an illustration that
  gives a general impression.
- there will be a specific work to find out the general graphic layer
  and logic used by LibreOffice on these tablets; the choices made
  there will in turn influence the interfaces choices. It seems only
  natural that the UX team forms a common opinion and provides advice
  (not a free wheeling opinion, but advice based on specification work).
- As the completion of the work package of platform porting will take
  at least one more year and with no clear deadline, the work on such
  a tablet UI is not exactly urgent. But of course it's good to keep
  that in our mind/running as a parallel track
- What I think will be interesting and very useful for "design ecology"
  and user friendliness will be to have commonalities between the
  LibreOffice interface on the desktop and LibreOffice on tablets,
  keeping in mind they will of course be completely different; yet
  certain UX details could be made common or look similar, giving in
  turn a feeling of comfortable identity between the two.

last but not least; it does mean that we need to work on incremental UX
improvements first for the LibreOffice desktop, and we need
specification work and drafting there.

Hope this helps,

--
Charles-H. Schulz