Le 2011-09-29 17:04, Christoph Noack a écrit :
Hi Marc, all!

Am Donnerstag, den 29.09.2011, 12:42 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
Le 2011-09-28 21:55, Ivan M. a écrit :
[...]
WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
look a lot better too
HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
WHEN: As soon as possible...

[...]
FYI - The French team has just done a revision of their download
page[1]. It was made less verbose and user experience was considered
through the process. It is still being tweaked at this time. JB Faure
was/is instrumental at facilitating the change which is well
appreciated. Merci JB!

Cheers

Marc
[1] http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger

Of course, the changes led to improvements, but I think it is still too
complex for average users. So here is the proposal to get some more
inspiration - I worked it out some time ago (technical guidance by
Christian, inspired by Nik, pushed by a discussion on the German mailing
list):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7c/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Default_Windows_Collapsed.png

All thoughts - requirements, texts, website structure - are here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

@ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
implement it ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph

Nice! I like the design. IMO, the less verbose the better for our new users. Users are interested in downloading, installing and using right away. But there are still some issues.

One of the recurring questions from users is that of Java ("Do we need to download/install Java?"). For a new user to LibreOffice, this would not be evident from your mockup and he/she would just assume that everything needed would come included in the one download.

I also like the fact that there is a short descriptive section on the FR download site ("Quels fichiers télécharger" [Which Files to Download?]) where it displays the needed files for all three supported OS's. This again, for a new user would not be evident on the mockup.

I would also suggest a "Corporate Use" link on the right hand side as we are also getting more questions about which version is for corporate use. This link could also help streamline help for corporate use -- maybe send them off to a FAQ targeted for corporate use? Alternatively, we could have a "Corporate use version" on the second tier menu with a version specifically targeted to corporate use with accompanying links to help files such as "large scale installation" and "professional services" offerings etc.

I think if these issues were dealt with on the download page mockup, it would make for a great page.

Marc