Hi Ivan, all!

Am Samstag, den 01.10.2011, 22:40 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:
Hi Christoph,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Christoph Noack
<christoph@dogmatux.com> wrote:
@ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
implement it ;-)

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I'm more than happy to adapt
the design in the mockup. However, your mockup has a third navigation
level, some of which appears to map onto existing pages, and some that
may not, so presumably these pages will need to be designed. That's
more of what I was referring to - that this won't just involve a
single page.

Ah, yes, you're right. After playing around with some alternatives, the
third navigation area is something which is not that nice [1], but also
something we can't avoid ... the navigation hierarchy is more than
strange looking at the dual-LibO-download page and e.g. separate
"features and fixes" pages.

Thus, the third navigation area is something we should take care about -
but filling it with content is something for marketing, website and
documentation team. Same for "Development Versions" or "All Downloads";
here we also might ask for help. The main thing is still the download
page (better: the download page reference for the different
versions) ... that should take care of 98% of all users.

The only page that might need some additional design love is the
"features and fixes" page ... the "Features Selection" (weird naming, by
the way, on a "features and fixes" page) is something which currently
looks odd:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-4-new-features-and-fixes/

I hope now my thoughts might make a bit more sense :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] Our page design already grew to a complexity which makes the
horizontal menus not scale that well. Something for later :-)