On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 12:25 +1200, Steve Edmonds wrote:

when I break something I am lost. I also think there are some bugs, but
without proper understanding of how they should work I am reluctant to
file a bug.

The documentation at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/6/6e/0103GS3-StylesAndTemplates.pdf
doesn't explain how they work and possibly if I can gain a better
understanding I can update the wiki with a view to distilling the
information I garner into something simple for the bulk of average users.

As this ultimately may end up with design consequences, should the
discussion be in one list or the other of both?

To start with, what is the underlying construction of the document. It
would seem that document features have styles associated. Do styles
modify the document construction on application (or modification) of the
style or do the styles work in layers like a filter.

I.e. a line of text entered initially in a default document has a
certain indent.
If I adjust the slider on the ruler it changes the indent. If I apply a
paragraph style it changes the indent. Does applying the style change
the basic indent value or override the basic value. If the style is
removed, does the indent revert to the basic value.
I suppose is the indent a global (to the document) variable that is
changed by applying a style or does the style override the instance.

If I apply a paragraph style and then a list style, do these
subsequently override the indent. Are they hierarchical so no matter
what later change I make to the paragraph style my override by the last
applied list style maintains the indent.

Steve, I haven't had time to read this entire thread. If I do find time
later today, I may be able to answer your questions better. Or perhaps
not; although I use styles all the time, I don't fully know all the
interactions between their parameters. However, I do know that mixing
manual formatting (such as adjusting the slider on the ruler) and styles
is not advised, because it's then difficult to sort out what parameters
are being controlled by which. My understanding is that, in general,
manual formatting over-rides styles.

Meanwhile, more information about the use of styles in Writer is in
Chapters 6 and 7 of the Writer Guide. Those chapters include examples of
use that may help you. BTW, this is one of many topics that the
Documentation Team would like to expand upon... if/when someone has the
time and knowledge to do the work. As you expressed interest in writing
this up, perhaps you'd like to talk to the Docs Team as well? (If you've
already joined the Docs Team, my apologies for not recognising your
name.)

--Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
LibreOffice Documentation Team