Hi Phil, all

You raise very important questions - but at the present state of our team and the entire community I can't provide you more than just a few thoughts...

Phil Jackson schrieb:
I'm interested in learning about the process for taking suggestions for
changes to the Interface that have been worked out in collaboration via
email and Whiteboards, to the stage where programmers are either
assigned or decide to carry out the changes.

In a volunteer community programmers can't be assigned - they decide about the area they want to work on, and nobody can force them to do anything else.

When we will have reached a status where developers might be payed for programming following the needs and requests of the community, this might differ.

But the most important and successful way to have a feature or a bug to be worked on (if you don't have the skill to code it on your own) is to convince others (in this case: developers) about the importance of your problem or feature.

I understand the need for a formalised approach with checks and balances
and appropriate authorisation.

We don't have this approach by now. There are structures to be defined like UX-Tags in bugzilla or an Easy-hacks page for UX / UI code development.

UX needs to be present in any UI related code development (but not necessarily involved with personal assistance for minor changes).

We need to define goals and a consistent way how to reach them by visual means. And we need developers interested in implementing our recommendations.

Is there an overview or paper on this somewhere that someone can direct
me to?

Not yet.

If you or anybody else could draw a first outline or draft, we had a basis to discuss here on the list and later on with the developers.

I would like to understand this in order to know what roles I can
provide assistance for. There will be people who liase between
programmers and designers and I might be able to help in this area
having experience of both design and programming.

Having people with insight on both sides of the curtain will help very much.

Programmer's language is quite different from designer language, but from time to time we're able to understand each other.

But the most important area is trust - if both sides trust each other that they take into account the other one's needs, ideas and proposals, this will lead to the most effective way of working together towards an even better and stable product.

So if you could help us by reading the developer's list, comment there on UX/UI related topics and integrate in this area, your work will be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: Please bear in mind, that the developer list is quite a technical list. Discussing new features might be necessary, but in a positive and integrative way. If the new feature is a positive development from what had been used before, the new feature can be modified later on in the time until the final release...