Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com>wrote:

Hi Jaron!

Am Sonntag, den 23.01.2011, 14:17 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
Looks much nicer with the larger text behind the gear.  Rotating the gear
really helps clean up the 16px icon.  The only change I would make to the
icon set would be a change to the size of the gear and its location in
the
16px icon.  I tried it out real quick here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565462304015028738 I
think it looks a bit cleaner (gear axle is clearer).

Just to present my "nit-picking" side: does this icon still respect the
position/size of the application symbols?

You caught me... not exactly!  The other icons don't have elements that
exceed 8 px width although some currently have elements only 7 px wide.  I
stretched that rule a little and made the gear 8.5 px wide.  I find bitmaps
to be tricky at small scales and a small change can make a world of
difference.  In this case I had hoped 0.5 pixels could be overlooked for the
improved look.  :-)
As for position there is still a 1 pixel boundary at the bottom of the icon
and it is still centered.

Even if not, I think it looks much cleaner - we should go for it (for
the 16px icon), even if it is a bit different. To me, it is important
that all the main application icons are consistent. In this case, the
macro icon might rarely be used together with the main application icons
- so I really appreciate the improved "readability".

Agreed; consistency is important. Therefore if we want, the 8 px wide gear
looks 90% as good but follows the rules.  Here you can see it for
comparison:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565517165618886402  (8.5
px left, 8 px right)

Cheers,