Hi Christophe,

Op 8-2-2012 16:21, Christophe Strobbe schreef:
Hi Jaap,

I took the liberty to give it a fuller title (so it is clearer when you search bugs) and changed it to an enhancement request. I hope that's OK :-)
More than OK, thanks for that.

Before submitting my bug about enabling tagged PDF by default, I asked for opinions on this list, and one of the original OpenOffice.org developers said that it was originally not enabled because of file size, but that this may no longer be an important counter-argument.
I don't know how PDF/UA impacts the size of PDF files.
Perhaps it would be wise to assess this. In the first place it would be nice to know the size difference between a "normal" PDF and a PDF/A-1a. Later we can expand this to PDF/UA. It could be that the size grows only a fixed amount of bytes. I have just exported a PDF without compression and without PDF/A-1a or tagging or hybride and the size is 58 kB. I have saved it as a PDF/A1-a and than it is 83 kB. The size growth is 25 kB. If this is a absolute size growth than this would mean that a file from 5. 8 MB increases to 5.8 MB + 25 kB, than I think there is no problem. But if it grows to 8.3 MB, than it is probably not wise to have PDF/A1-a or PDF/UA as a default option. I assume (hope) that this research has been done already by someone in the community?
> "PDF/A-1a" or should it be an additional checkbox?

PDF/A-1a is also used for archive, id est that is the default function of A-1. I am no expert, but I should say that A-1a should be possible too. So PDF/UA would be an extra checkbox. But I think this should be questioned to some experts.
> 2) In the PDF Options dialog box, should "PDF/UA" replace the current

Apparently, I temporarily forget that the A in PDF/A (ISO 19005-1:2005) stands for archiving instead of accessibility :-/
Anyway, checking PDF/A-1a leads to a few specific UI changes:
1. The "Tagged PDF" checkbox is checked (if it was not already checked) and greyed out.
2. The "Create PDF form" checkbox is unchecked and greyed out.
3. The "Embed standard fonts" checkbox is checked and greyed out.

If PDF/UA is added as a checkbox above or below PDF/A-1a, should the "Tagged PDF" checkbox also get checked and greyed out? Are there any other things that should happen? (I suppose I could ask Duff Johnson directly.)
I am no expert, but I think that tagged PDF should be greyed out. Perhaps PDF/A1a too? I should say: ask the expert :)

Kind regards,
Jaap van de Putte