On 2011-06-09 11:35, Zak McKracken wrote:
Am 08.06.2011, 23:07 Uhr, schrieb Steve Edmonds
<steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>:

OO and LO print EPS correctly for me to non-eps printers (my epson
C87), printing the vector graphics cleanly. Mac and Linux, both use
CUPS as the print engine. Are you printing from Linux, what printer
driver are you using.
steve

Very strange, for me they definitely do not print correctly.
I'm printing from my Windows XP PC to a Canon iP5000, and all I get is
the same as in the PDF export, which is the eps preview image.
This may have to do with how the preview looks like, maybe? Some EPS
files have a very hi-res preview, and as I just learned from
Microsoft, Word creates one of its own. I usually add a very low-res
preview to the EPS at creation. I've attached an example with a very
coarse preview (and a SVG version for comparison).
I'm very curious if you can
- print it directly from LO to a non-eps printer, and
- convert it to pdf
while getting the full verctor graphics goodness out of it.
You should be able to zoom fairly far in, and you should also be able
to see the different thicknesses of the coloured curves versus the
hairline tangential lines.
If I even just  put them into a writer document, it looks pretty
ridiculous already, and the pdf looks just as bad.

I think this should clearly show the use of having a properly
embeddable and printable vector image format.

Hi. This might be a windows bug (just the way windows prints, and always
has).
The bitmap image with an EPS with vector art is like a preview.
Sometimes I don't even create a preview with my EPSs, just position the
frame (empty on screen). Printing has worked fine for years in OO and
now LO on linux and mac.
The great thing about LO on the mac is that LO displays the actual
vector art of an EPS, even when there is no preview.
Wonder if you can install CUPS for windows.
steve