On 01/01/2013 12:14 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi Tom,

If they put those resources into using Base as their front-end then a LOT of the support and
development work would be done by people they didn't even have to pay.  Of course some of the work
they did pay for would be used by people that weren't using their product but those people would
become more aware of their product as a result.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There is a good reason for developing your own reporting module for an ERP, and that is independence. IMO, this is probably a fairly reasonable business decision, especially in light of Base's current quirks, and its current dependence on a Java implementation that is not to everyone's liking. The reporting side of things in LO depends on either the Pentaho engine (which is a competitor of OpenERP for BI lest we forget) or the UNO API (which is currently in a state of flux with previously available interfaces being removed/unpublished/deprecated, and others being added). No one in any sane state of business mind would want to delegate resources to a moving target like that, especially where it is probably easier to use and manipulate ODF documents instead.

Having used TinyERP before OpenERP came into existence, the Base extension that one could get hold of to interface with the backend postgres database required a fair deal of understanding of what went on under the hood of TinyERP to be able to do anything useful with it. Even using the ERP workflow engine via Writer documents which were then converted was a rather untrivial affair. I'm all for having a competent Report Designer tool within LO, but we already have basic C++ code for that, which was mainly abandoned during Base2 development to implement a subset of the Java-based Pentaho BI solution instead (the latter being far more complete IMO, but a separate tool nonetheless). The result of that we can see today as a difficult to maintain, difficult to debug, unstable, continually breaking tool that neither meets user requirements nor satisfaction, even as the other modules in LO progress.

Just my 2c.

Alex