Howdy;

[Just finished a "mumble" call with Carl Symon. Technically, the convo went well, other than Carl had issues with an echo - Marc, didn't you have an issue similar to this? Was there a solution?]

This email is generally an 'fyi' addressing cloud computing and how it relates to LibreOffice's future. To start, the deftest description I've found of the relative strategies (or positions) of Google, Apple and Microsoft with respect to cloud computing is the article by Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry for Business Insider:
To Google, the point of cloud computing is to replace desktop software with the web.

For Apple, cloud computing doesn't replace software, it augments it.

That also happens to be what Microsoft has been saying (but not really doing) about cloud computing forever.
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-icloud-microsoft-cloud-2011-6

Now, back to LibreOffice. So far, it looks like TDF & LibO are responding in 3 ways to leverage cloud services. The first is already out there as "the cloud story" so we should be conversant in it. The second is a low-hanging fruit which might be publicized better. (I emailed the developer and asked him to post his extension at LibO). The third looks to be the longer-term response. Make sure to watch the video. It's devoid of technical details but it gets the concept across. (And I'd like to know who in our group can do videos like this!)

enjoy,
-Craig

1) Treat the existing Cloud services like a flash drive:
LibreOffice Portable runs right from a USB flash drive or cloud drive...
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/01/27/announcing-libreoffice-portable-a-full-featured-office-suite-for-usb-removable-and-cloud-drives/

2) Leverage extension developers:
ooo2gd: Export your documents to Google Docs, Zoho and WebDAV servers from OpenOffice.org
    https://code.google.com/p/ooo2gd/downloads/list

3) Steer towards an open Cloud solution:
The Unhosted project has been invited by The Document Foundation (the organization that published LibreOffice) to propose a solution for this problem. In response, we drafted our vision in this nice motion graphic: http://vimeo.com/21387223
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-April/010374.html