[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- From: Mike Saunders <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:13:08 +0100
- To: email@example.com
On 15/11/2019 22:31, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
> did anyone ask what the l10n teams want?
Well, that's why we posted on the list here before implementing, to get
> Will getting four or five other languages into that bar really help anyone?
It will help those people who don't know that the LibreOffice website
exists in other languages, surely. We get regular feedback and social
media comments asking why the LibreOffice website isn't in French,
German etc. A banner at the top listing some languages should help in
> In 2019 the browsers can, if the users do not surf anonymously, detect what
> country the click comes from, so why not redirecting the user to that
> language or set of languages in that region, if site(s) exist(s)?
Sure, if someone wants to implement that, go ahead! I don't have the
knowledge to do it, but I want to at least partially solve the
aforementioned problem, and the proposal on
https://newdesign.libreoffice.org does that IMHO.
I believe it's better to roll it out now and then possibly upgrade it
with a more sophisticated solution later, like you mention. But
otherwise we could just do nothing for a while until someone codes that
solution. I take the "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"
approach -- let's get something implemented now, even if it's not the
most sophisticated, rather than just waiting.
That's just my 2C of course :-)
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
- Prev by Date: [libreoffice-website] Infra call on Tue, Nov 19 at 17:30 UTC
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-website] Fwd: [libreoffice-l10n] Accesing local silverstripe admin
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-website] Re: Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website