[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- From: Martin Srebotnjak <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 22:31:02 +0100
- To: Mike Saunders <email@example.com>
- Cc: "LibreOffice, website" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sorry, guys & dolls,
did anyone ask what the l10n teams want?
Will getting four or five other languages into that bar really help anyone?
In 2019 the browsers can, if the users do not surf anonymously, detect what
country the click comes from, so why not redirecting the user to that
language or set of languages in that region, if site(s) exist(s)? Another
setting that could be put to use is the default/preferred language in the
browser setting ... Pushing German, Spanish, French, Chinese and Italian in
the Eastern Europe is really dilettante, wouldn't you think?
V V pet., 15. nov. 2019 ob 17:39 je oseba Mike Saunders <
> On 15/11/2019 17:20, William Gathoye wrote:
> > I visit libreoffice.org and I have an user-agent with "fr", the banner
> > will be displayed and *in French* it will be displayed:
> > "Your computer is defined in French, would you like to switch to the
> > French website? [DROP DOWN MENU] [CONTINUE BUTTON]"
> OK, makes sense -- but then we'd need to get this string translated into
> all the languages. With the "English | 中文 (简体) | Deutsch | Español |
> Français | Italiano | More..." approach, we can just get it online ASAP.
> The only word that needs translating is "More" but it's not critical.
> > I'm available if you need webdevs :)
> If you'd like to work on an alternative design, cool, go ahead :-) I
> like your idea, but Jean's implementation (as on newdesign) is available
> right now, and is one fix for the issue of people not knowing that there
> are other websites in other languages. That's why I'd like to deploy it
> ASAP, but we can of course work on other solutions in parallel!
> I'm not a web dev so I'm not super familiar with how it all works, but
> if you want access to newdesign to test, I'm sure infra can grant you
> the necessary magic powers :-)
> Have a good weekend!
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
|Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website||Mike Saunders <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- Next by Date: [libreoffice-website] Infra call on Tue, Nov 19 at 17:30 UTC
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-website] Banner for switching languages on the LibreOffice website