On 15/11/2019 15:45, William Gathoye wrote:

+1 for the idea of having simply a link leading to the NLC page.

Do you mean, some text like "Click here to view this site in other
languages?" I'm not sure if that's the best approach -- it's just some
more generic text on the page that visitors' eyes may skip over.

With a few clear language names, like on
https://newdesign.libreoffice.org, it stands out and is immediately
clear what it does. And we don't need to put so much work into
translating the other string into so many languages.

Listing languages on that bar is

  * not working nicely on mobile devices, especially portrait mode (like
    already specified)

I just checked https://newdesign.libreoffice.org and it works fine on
mobile; sure, it takes up a bit of extra space at the top, but it's easy
to use. Perhaps we could make it smaller, but we should also bear in
mind that 96% of visits to the LibreOffice website are on desktop
devices -- only 4% on mobile.

  * some users may complain "with is language X appearing before that one"

Yeah, I thought about that too -- but we can make the case that we can
only show a handful of languages given space constraints, and it makes
sense to put the busiest sites first. There is the "More" link to show
them all, so it's not like we're hiding any of the others.

Other projects take this approach. Look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice for example (at least, in a
desktop browser) -- in the "Languages" section on the left, it shows
only a small selection, and you have to click "61 more" to show the rest.

(I'm not sure how Wikipedia generates that list of "Suggested
languages"; I was happy to see Bavarian up the top, but the page is
realy small compared to the Portiguese one, which is tucked away under
"More". Maybe it's based on location?)

Mike