Bernhard,

On Oct 12, 2010, at 6:22 PM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

Hi Per, all,

sorry for stepping in so late, but this community is evolving so quickly that you can't keep in
track even with the most important tasks.

Per Eriksson schrieb:

Hi everybody,

I was looking at the Fedora project and how nicely they have integrated
their normal website with their wiki. The navigation between the sites
works seamlessly, and they look very much the same.

I would like to see even more integration.

Why do we need a visible distinction between wiki and website?

It would be sufficient (in my eyes) to differ between static and modifiable content.

If the URL shows /wiki/ or not is quite irrelevant for the user, if he reads "static
content|proposals for improvement" (linking to the same webpage as wiki page hosting ideas for
improvement and a discussion page) or the wiki navigation with "Page|Discussion|Read|Edit|View
history".

(I don't see a reason for a "Page" and a "Read" tab in the wiki, but I'm not very deeply involved
in wikis).

I'd add these tabs as a second level of tabs just below the main navigation (if this is possible)
and keep the wiki tabs (perhaps just a few main expandable entries) on the static webpages too.

With integrated search functionality over both areas this might improve user's experience with
our site...

I don't know if I can come up with a mockup during the next days, but I hope you understand what
I mean.

These seem like great points. Have you had the chance to think them over further, or to create a
mockup yet?

I agree that the distinction between site and wiki is probably meaningless and confusing to a
normal user, though maybe less so if the wiki is used just as a community tool and the website
fully covers end-user needs.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com