Hi all,

I would like to invite you to a discussion and later to a test on
Discourse instance to evaluate the replacement of our Ask instance.
Guilhem has not yet installed a test instance on our infra but he will
do in the next weeks.

The reasoning to a migration is that Ask is often seen as complicated by
our users, it's not clear for them how they should comment or answer and
even vote. On the admin side, their is only one developer and he is
responding with long delays to our issues and requests. Our infra team
is not able to maintain the instance. So the situation is really not
ideal here.

After spending some time on researching alternative tools, Discourse,
however being not perfect, appears to answer most of our needs. We have
15 languages to handle and it seems the only one to deal correctly with
the different scripts, fonts and research functions.

If we are happy with the tests, then we will decide on the migration
time. Ask instance would be deprecated. There is a script that allow to
import Ask to Discourse. We will run it, but it may need some (or more!)
work.
The idea is to create one language per category, then it will be
possible to have subcategories per language.
Fedora community has migrated from Ask to Discourse last year, see here
for an example of their forum https://ask.fedoraproject.org/
I will take attach with them to get feedback on their experience however
they do not host their instance.

So here is the rough idea. I would like to have your feedback on it.
Again I'm well aware that Discourse is not the perfect tool, but I think
it doesn't exist for a large and diverse community as ours (see also
GNOME community for example, they also use Discourse). But if you
have strong arguments against it or for it, please let me know.

Let me know also if you want to participate to the test.

Discourse documentation is here:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-new-user-guide/96331
Redmine tickets for the migration are here:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2936
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2952
Migration script is here
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/script/import_scripts/askbot.rb

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback!
Cheers
Sophie
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi