I looked at the VM during the meeting and the load was at about 8,
suggesting we can pump up the virtual hardware and see how that goes.
Another option is to host not at our datacenter, but at some cloud
provider with different connectivity.

The server load of 8 is quite weird here :/ as the Jitsi server is *not*
reencoding video/audio streams to multiplex them as a single one.[1]
Other solutions like Cisco Webex can be doing this, but requires
hardware acceleration (typically what we can get from game servers which
provide powerful graphics cards).

Depending on the number of vCPUs, a >1 load is sometimes expected :)

And while cascading (mentioned by @Sophi on Telegram, and in the lasts
$$ of [2]) can indeed be one of the solution to handle the load on
multiple servers, this still won't fix the bad connection people can
have (their jitter).

The bitrate of all the streams combined wasn't so much to handle for a
browser. So even the people from across the Atlantic ocean having a bad
connection participating in the meeting could have handled them
properly. :) Unless their connection is really really bad, in that case,
changing, tweaking the server won't be very helpful to them :/

- assinging more resources to the VM -> Cloph, can you have a look? (Guilhem is on vacation right
now)
- finding out if there was any major spike in traffic on the VM recently -> also Cloph, can you
have a look?
- have someone from infra on standby during the next meeting to live debug the issues
- have a fallback plan to have a proper meeting

Looking forwards to the answers :)

[1] https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-videobridge
[2] https://bloggeek.me/how-many-users-webrtc-call/

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice