Le 23/01/2020 à 10:53, William Gathoye (LibreOffice) a écrit :
On 23/01/2020 09:03, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:

This is a bit misrepresenting. There was a GNOME contributor talking
about this. I explained to him how GitLab's (like GitHub's) issue
tracker is inadequate for large projects like us.

*unless* the missing features we need are implemented IIRC :) And I
volunteer if you need people to implement features. I used to love
hackathons :) It would be an opportunity to play with Ruby again.

Of course we are worried about Bugzilla, but there are steps being taken
to address the Mozilla/upstream fracture.

Yep, but if I was the one who decides, using a project that hasn't much
maintenance like it used to be is risky IMHO. We are a bit in a
situation like what we had with Pootle and we have now with AskBot, but
that's another topic. :)

I believe GNOME's decision to drop Bugzilla was misinformed, same as
freedesktop.org's.

Discussing with some GNOME devs at last FOSDEM, they said to me they saw
a bunch of new contributions since the GitLab migration. I cannot
confirm, but I wouldn't be surprised either with all the feedback I
received about the BZ slowness and UX not friendliness, this is a
problem reported by "new-gen" contributors used to use GitHub, Jira and
all. :/

Overall I am rather puzzled by the inability of big FOSS projects to
collaborate on helping improve a crucial piece of infra they rely on and
instead dropping it for some shiny open core thing that ships something
kind of similar.

+1 this is definitely something we should try to improve

I'm joining your POV if there weren't alternative available *if missing
features are implemented*. :)

At the last FOSDEM I also discussed with some GitLab guys, and they
would even be willing to put some people to help, like they did with
Debian and GNOME. KDE is in the evaluation process to migrating away
from Phabricator to GitLab as well[1].

That's up to TDF to take decision knowing that in all changes you'll get
rejections. For these cases, two ways pipelining between BZ and GitLab
issue tracker is possible IMHO. And for what is worth mentioning the
experience can be started by replacing Redmine? :)

Why should we be replacing Redmine? I don't see that in the discussion here.

Like all meritocratic organization, it's up to volunteers to take up
such a challenge and propose migration path *then* ask
managers/directors to take decision. That's the way I work. I don't like
to come up without PoC/solutions.

Then you are missing a bunch of volunteers in your statement. When
proposing such a change, you need to get first the whole picture and see
 the pros and cons in details. Listening to other projects is always
good of course, but each has its own needs and own culture.

Cheers
Sophie
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi