On 30 October 2015 at 01:13, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks for the answer, I will make a copy of that repo (so much for
"core is
the only repo you will ever need")

if you downloaded and used that ps1 file, that indicate that you were
following the 'lode' ways of setting up a build environment (a good
thing.. but I'm partial :-) ).
step 2 of this process _is_ to download the lode.git repo.. so you
should really already have it.

I did all of that, but surprise the logerrit in core only handles core, no
support for newbees that want to submit patches for different parts.

Please bear over with me, I am trying to follow the instructions to the
letter (as a newbee would), and have already made several changes to the
lode
wiki pages to clarify a couple of pitfalls. My intentions was to work as a
completely new person, which of course included submitting a patch by mail
(since logerrit does not work for lode) and see how it was handled.

with a little git magic (including copying .gitreview) I managed to push my
patch to gerrit:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/19681

Looking forward to see if it gets committed.

And yes core.git is all you need to build the product ( although
depending on the build option you may get dictionaries.git, help.git
and/or translation.git as git submodule).
lode.git is a separate 'tools' developed originally to help deploying
ci slavebot.
lode help among other thing 'manage' core.git using a local bare
mirror clone --reference to deply build environment cheaply.
it could not live in core.git again due to a chicken and egg problem.

and as you can see here: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/admin/projects/

I actually saw nearly the same, looking at the git repos, and then a nice
person at the hackfest told me to forget it all :-)

we do have quite a few auxiliary git repo under management :-)

I was told (on irc) by mst that our web server content is not in git
(which in my mind seems wrong)

most of it is not, for good reason.. git is not the best way to manage
a bunch of fat tar.gz source release of all the external dependencies
we use.
I've put that particular script _there_ as a convenience (convenient
to me as that web server already existed and server plain file), but
really the cygwin_install scrip is completely unrelated to the rest of
the content there.

Sorry I should have been more strict in my wording, I meant the static
parts, of course source tar balls etc does not belong in git.

A case could be made as to where the script belongs, but I happen to agree
with you that it has a good place.

Sorry for being a pain, I am just trying to get up to speed on how TDF/LO
does things so I later can be better help to new people.

rgds
jan i.

Norbert