В письме от 8 августа 2014 15:08:08 Вы написали:
Yes, only use Russian categories for the Russian pages and add the
Russian categories to the English "base category"

so e.g.:
* [[FAQ/Calc/003/ru]]
** is in [[Category:FAQ/Calc/ru]]
* [[Category:FAQ/Calc/ru]]
** is in [[Category:FAQ/Calc]]
** and  [[Category:FAQ/ru]]

and not more.

Thanks for the clarification this question.

even easier: you / we can simply add the categories by addressing them
in the {{Menu.FAQ/ru}} easily!
with a construct like (in pseudo-code!)
{{#if {{PAGENAME}} contains Calc at second "directory" level, put the
page in [[Category:FAQ/Calc/ru]]
#elseif {{PAGENAME}} contains Writer at second "directory" level, put
the page in [[Category:FAQ/Writer/ru]]
[...]

I would prepare the code at the weekend (if this is wished)

I do not know the pseudocode of wikimedia. But I think it is excellent idea.
If not inconvenient to you, could you make this code?
Or, if you have no time, could you give me the link on tutorial? I wiil try it
myself.

Existing Categories would be cleaned up by my bot User:CleanupBot (check
the contributions - I run it regularly; mostly supervised) I will always
find new tasks for the bot. :-p

BTW: Great work at the Russian and English by the Russian community!

Thanks =)
Lera

Regards,

Dennis Roczek