Hi Pedro, *,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Pedro <pedlino@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
Please look at the download page (which is by coincidence entitled
Donate...)
http://donate.libreoffice.org/home/dl/win-x86/4.2.2/en-US/LibreOffice_4.2.2_Win_x86.msi

That as Charles already mentioned is of course not the download page.
This is the page you are directed to after triggering the download.
This is where you get the main installer. Before seeing this page, you
already had the big fat download buttons that should not pose any
question as to what the result will be when you click one. I.e. you
want the file, you'll get the file.

It's a whole page about Donation with a small link to the built-in Help...

The donation stuff is displayed *in addition* to your download. And as
a convenience it also displays the optional downloads for the main
installer you picked earlier, so you don't have to browse back to the
download page to get the help and/or language packs.

For a Free Open Source software from a Foundation whose goal is to "to
eliminate the digital divide in society by giving everyone access to office
productivity tools free of charge" don't you think that there is too much
pressure on users to donate???

Stating clearly that any donation is optional, and starting the
download automatically before a user has to press "no, I don't want to
donate" or similar is not what I consider putting "pressure" on users.

As Florian mentioned we now reduced the delay until the download is
started (initially it was setup to allow the page to load completely
before starting additional activity (i.e. sending the file to the
browser). That should make it even more clear that donating is
optional.

Apparently some users feel that... Maybe the page needs a re-design?

And here I chime in with the others: That "maybe" and "redesign" are
easily requested, but when it comes to asking for concrete proposals,
you hear the cicades chirp (that probably  won't translate well)

From my POV the way the donations are presented is not obtrusive. It
doesn't block you from getting what you want. You don't have to click
stuff away to start download, you're free to just ignore all of the
donate page.

As you mentioned people getting the donation request on an update as
well: Then they already know that the download will start, without the
need to pay anything, so I can understand that point even less.

I don't see how a sidebar will help. The download page where you pick
the version has focus *only* on the download, it doesn't tell a word
about donations

ciao
Christian