An Itch to Scratch
---
Ever since I encountered issues trying to upload and display large
images of computers on TDF's wiki (for use as source files), I've been
looking for a better way for us to store the binary assets (images,
videos, design docs, etc..) we use in the production of LibreOffice
and the LibreOffice websites.

I've been testing ownCloud recently, and it looks quite promising as a tool:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Qubit/Repository_for_non-code_assets#Feature_comparisons

No tool we've tested so far has been perfect, and ownCould does have
its limitations, but it provides a solid set of features and
definitely provides support for larger files that MediaWiki can't
handle comfortably. ownCloud does not support CMIS, however it does
support WebDAV, versioning of files, and has a straightforward web
interface.

(the most) Useful features
---
- Smooth large-file upload
- Directory structure for files
- Sync entire directories of files
- Integrated image viewer
- Audio player (mp3, ogg, etc..)
- In-browser video playback (HTML5ish stuff like webm and mp4)

Plugins
---
ownCloud has a number of different plugins that can be used to enable
a calendar, an address book for contacts, a journal, etc.. but these
can all be easily disabled in the admin interface so that we can just
use the system for file storage and transfer.

Suggested deployment
---
I propose a really simple install of ownCloud (with fewer plugins
enabled than even the stock install).

- Accounts would be created by request

- By default we'd put everything into a shared folder, split up into
rough groups and projects in a similar fashion to our organization
scheme on the wiki:

Example: Some big source images to spruce up the background of the BSA
might go into qa/bsa/2013-07-new-backgrounds/

Example: Source materials for the upcoming conference could go into
conferences/2013/milan/

That's basically it. Nothing too fancy, nothing too complicated, just
a fileserver with a nice web front-end.

Cheers,
--R

P.S. Installation is super-easy, but I'll be happy to provide my
install notes upon request (as always :-)