Hi Jonathan, Robinson,

Am 31.01.2013 um 20:13 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
I had not realized that ask was python based. I am honestly suprised there
isnt something out there for django or even ask in terms of recaptcha
already available. If i had the time which i dont right now at all i would
gladly code up something.

Askbot indeed has basic recaptcha support, but this is only used for local signup. As this is at
the moment disabled (the version we're using doesn't support double opt-in, which is a requirement
by german law), we have to rely on OpenID provider. Most of the spammers use yahoo and google
accounts, so they were already able to bypass their captchas.

I'm currently working on merging in the changes up to Askbot 0.7.48 from two days ago, which needs
some work - changing images, adapting the theme again etc. As soon this is done, I'll implement the
function Robinson suggested - defining a karma threshold. Users with, for example, less than 10
karma are moderated, users with more not. I think this is the most "native" way of handling this
problem.
Otherwise: If someone finds a compatible alternative to Akismet that is based in Europe or
available to deploy on our own infrastructure, that would be also great.

Cu,
Alex

FYI: We are using nginx+uwsgi to deploy Askbot on our infra. This has proven much more
uncomplicated than mod_wsgi+apache when it comes to using multiple virtualenvs in the same vhost,
and does scale well (the recently occurring problems were caused by multithreading issues, nothing
to do with our deployment setup).

--
Alexander Werner <alex@documentfoundation.org>
Admin Team of The Document Foundation