Hello,

I wanted to share the status quo on the infra setup, where we stand, and what the roadmap looks like.

Basically, the admin team is investigating Puppet as configuration framework, but since this one is quite mighty, it takes a lot of time to implement all our current settings with it. In parallel, we are also investigating other frameworks like SALT, but all of those need heavy work to reflect our setup.

However, as we have to deploy and upgrade some machines better yesterday than tomorrow, I started hacking a small configuration script on my own. I started to convert the existing documentation into a fully scriptable one, that also takes some precautions for future distribution versions, by ignoring indents, default settings and the like.

Today, I have achieved the first stage, which means I can now fully unattended deploy an Ubuntu 12.04 server with the TDF settings. Using the self-written scripts, this only takes a few minutes, depending on available bandwith.

This is only the first stage - I still need to do the very same for the web server, Postfix and other components, but it is a first achievement, and now that I have some routine in parsing configuration files, I hope the rest happens faster. :-)

I just wanted to share this with you, so you know a lot of things are happening right now, and I am confident that we soon can shut down the first old machines and replace it with newer ones, based on the new platform setup.

Florian