Dear Florian:

Kudos from Quebec, Canada...

First, let me offer my humble kudos for all the work you are doing on this. I wish I could do a quarter as much, but poor and in retirement, I have to spend the better part of my daily efforts on hand-on self-sufficiency to control the budget. Added kudos for getting us out of Open Office when Oracle took over Sun. I think both of use could smell the fear that open office would, figuratively, "become less open".

I did notice you mentioned translation, but from/to what languages? My first language is English, second French (a mix of Quebecois and various other dialects) and third, to a lesser degree, Spanish.

I am not familiar with the formats needed for Wikipedia, and I do not hold a university degree. 95% of what I have learned in roughly 50 years of technology and much more has been independently self-taught. Obviously very "out of the box".

Therefore, I am very aware that so much that does not translate smoothly from one language to another needs what I refer to as "explanatory translations" which to me are a lot of good enjoyment when you see another really gaining some depth of insight and understanding from them.

With this background, what I might be able to do, I fear might also have a hard time fitting into a large environment such as the documentation group for Libre Office. However, rather than walking away from it, let me ask you if you think this would be as big a problem as I may be imagining?

Recently I received a phone call from Service Canada (the part of our federal government that looks after the public in many regards, income tax and pensions being some.) What was said was that I had overpaid on past taxes, because of the exceptional complexity of my tax situation and that of my wife, and that I was to receive an appreciable amount in a cheque to come.

This will certainly help, but not in any direct cash donations. In stead, it will help me automate more of what I do here, making better use of my time to the ultimate benefit of whoever can benefit from the use of my skills.

One of the planned upgrades here are the set of hard drives I need for my larger NAS box to run a RAID5.

Another is a new router to replace the D-link DIR-825 which no longer cooperates with Linux. (My Linux machines can access the internet and do FTP with the NAS boxes, but they can not run either Samba access or NFS.

(With my laptop visiting a friend whom I trained to use computers, I could access her network wired, and access her computer (which ran XP Home). That Laptop runs Fedora 16 i386, but not Windows. The router is a very old and minimal D-Link, so the problem is related to the current firmware of the DIR-825 (as has been confirmed by many complaints from other users on the web.)

All in all, I hope to see a vast improvement by the end of the year (or maybe sooner) depending on how fast this and other money expected arrives.

As for languages other than English, French and Spanish, in various dialects, on the streets of Montreal, you can expect up to 80 languages in a day. The vast majority in this city are the endless diversity of people from all over the world. Being in public a fair amount, I have run across Farsi, Tie (Africa), Gujarati, Bengali, Tamil, Tagalo, Arabic, and even the ancient Arameic (and a lady who spoke that language, nonchalantly saying "Yes, I speak the language of Jesus Christ." This was a bit of a chuckle to us, because we both knew that few here would have ever thought of that ancient language as still being spoken! However Arameic was the "grand-daddy" of all those RTL middle eastern languages, including Arabic in its various dialects, Farsi and whatever else in that part of the world.

I was originally trained as an electronic technician, and have worked in diverse fields from assisting neurophysiology to industrial process control instrumentation with episodes on both Canada and the U.S. This involved many very complex and dangerous jobs in its (very mobile) time. It also included various episodes involving equipment using electronics to control heavy electrical power, such as motor drives and rebuilding a huge rectifier arrangement.

Since then I have been using Open office, Libre office and more to document various jobs I have done, illustrated at times with a combination of digital photos, blow-up views, and vectorial creations arising out of Draw, Generic CADD, and Autocad, all being converted as needed from as far back as the DOS world up to present day Libre Office draw. I also use Audacity (being as I also love public speaking) and have done a number of presentations using Impress, fed from all the rest. The data is shared between Linux and Win XP, being stored on independent hard drives.

Most of all the hardware, I modify and assemble myself.

With that, I remain watching when I can what transpires as Libre Office marches on.

Very best Regards,

Bruce Martin.

Hello,

I spent the last week with setting up our new wiki. I've copied all articles, users and most configuration settings, and enhanced them, based on the recent MediaWiki version.

What is currently missing:

    - multiple languages
    - caching (thus it might be slow)
    - autopromoting/autoconfirming (spam protection)
    - WYSIWYG editor (there exists none)

I've also enhanced spam protection, but that might trigger false alerts. So, what I'd like as feedback from you now is:

    - bugs and problems
    - feature and extension requirements
    - proposals on what to change

Please check your favorite page if it renders allright, please check if all the functions work, and if any of the newly-introduced limitations for spam protection interrupt with your productive work and of course, let me know, what functionality you are missing, since now is the best time to include it.

One word of warning, I can't emphasize that enough:

This wiki is for TESTING PURPOSES only.
Users, articles and settings - in other words: ANYTHING -
created here WILL be deleted when the testing is over.
There are NO backups. Content WILL break.
Do NOT use this wiki for anything productive.

So, after you've read all those warnings :) here you get the URL for testing:

    http://wikitest.documentfoundation.org

Please direct feedback to website@global.libreoffice.org

Thanks a lot for your support, and looking forward to migrationg to the new wiki soon,
Florian